Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A copy of a letter I've sent to the New Democrats. I've also phoned and left messages stating my point of view.



Mr. Jack Layton
Leader - New Democrat Party

Dear Mr. Layton

I've been following the discussion about the upcoming televised Leader's Debate. Imagine my surprise when the media announced that my beloved N.D. party has said that they would not back Elizabeth May and the Green Party's participation in the debate.

I have voted New Democrat in every federal election since I turned 18 (over 20 years ago!). I always believed in the ideal of grass roots democracy. I even ran as a candidate for the party in 1997. Never have I been so disappointed in this party as I am at this point. I thought that my party believed in grass roots organizing and democracy. I thought we supported election reform. And yet this decision flies completely in the face of those principles.

I can assure you that I will not vote New Democrat in this election based solely upon this issue. I believe that I have a rather wide circle of influence amongst friends and relatives who have also been New Democrat supporters. I will do what I can to influence them to not vote N.D. this election as well, given this stance of the party against democratic values. This was a bad bad decision on the part of the party and ill thought out. I don't think the hierarchy of the party has realized the impact that the Green Party can have on this nation.

I'm sorely disappointed and want to suggest that you should be ashamed of yourself!

Most respectfully
Shakti Roberta Allen
Edmonton, Alberta

No comments: