Monday, April 7, 2008

The Coupledom Clique

I've been noticing, lately, how I'm not part of a "couple". Obviously, for those that know me, this isn't something new. But what I've become increasingly aware of is how there is a "clique" around being a couple.

I have many friends - long time friends, new friends, friends from my spiritual community, friends from work, friends from school. Most of these (but not all) are women friends. My friends love to go out for tea with me, or dinner. They like to get together to talk about matters of the heart and spiritual matters. They want to share stories about their love interests, partners, kids, work. I love this about them.

But something strange happens when it comes to their partners. I'm no longer part of the picture. Now, this isn't me being paranoid - I brought it up recently with a group of other single women. We were all in agreement that we do not get invited to "couple events". It's a curious syndrome, really. When my girlfriends are intending to get together with friends with their lovers, then they invite other people who have lovers/partners/husbands. They don't invite their single friends to join them.

I don't know if this is a "numbers" issue. Is it more harmonic to have even numbers when inviting people over for dinner? Is it more soothing to the flow of conversation if there are equal numbers of men and women? Is it uncomfortable for the twosome to become a threesome?

These are questions that I don't have the answers for. But it does leave me wondering if I shouldn't be in a relationship just so I can become part of the club. I think I might be missing out on certain secrets. Perhaps I will buy a blow up doll, or mannequin and then I could become part of a couple. My own quiet date....

No comments: